Monday, December 22, 2008

Mystery lameness

I rode for probably an hour and a half today, pre-clinic, until the resident trainer at the stable pointed out Sammie was gimpy. In my defense, it was only a slight bob at the trot that occurred every few strides. Like, he'd be fine for five or six trot strides and then he'd limp a just slightly. It took her a while to notice it , and we weren't entirely sure about it until we trotted him in hand a few times.

So what on earth could be causing it? It's minor, almost unnoticeable, but it's there. I pick out his hooves, he doesn't have thrush, and he doesn't have any injuries from the track. His right front heel is a little low, but he was off in his left. So weird. Needless to say, we are calling the farrier tomorrow to check him out. He's due for a new pair of shoes anyways. If that doesn't resolve it, hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to the vet we go.

God. I feel really guilty for riding him today. We did walk-trot, and I considered cantering, but we were schooling with nine other riders. He did do really well with his transitions- we extended and collected (well, collected as much as a pair of greenies can) in both gaits and he came right back to me from a huge extended trot. I, on the other hand, need more work. I'll have to post pictures of his working trot. It's friggin huge. Like warmblood size. I can't sit it for crap, needless to say, which probably has loads to do with our cantering issues. I mean, if you think about it, an unbalanced rider makes for an unbalanced horse, so I think I will hold off until I can really keep my butt in the saddle. I shortened my stirrups from flatwork length to my usual jumping length too. My trainer noticed me reaching for my stirrups occasionally and decided we should sacrifice the pretty dressage leg in favor of a more stable jumping leg while we work on our sitting trot. I guess it makes sense, but I feel like a jockey lol.

Anyways, that's really all I have to add,

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment