Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sammie's pedicure

So I had the farrier out today to check out Sammie's hooves. Hoo boy, what an experience. Whoever shod him last time was either completely uneducated or trying to ruin him. Sam had two mismatched aluminum racing shoes (I can't believe I didn't notice:( ), there was an eight degree difference in the angle of his heels, and he had the beginnings of abscesses in his right front under the shoe. The old farrier had also taken a chunk out of his hoof wall and didn't put on the clinch things right, or even file them. No wonder the boy was sore. He must have felt like he was wearing a sneaker on one foot and high heels on the other.

Luckily, the farrier we use is excellent, and fixed Sammie up in no time. He will be a little awkward for a few days because of the new angles, but otherwise he should be much more comfortable. When we brought him home a few weeks ago, he looked like he toed out in front. Amazing what a new trim can do, huh? He's nice and square now. We hadn't had him reshod since we brought him home because we haven't had him that long, but I'm really glad he went lame when he did. I'm probably not going to be able to get out to the barn over the next few days, so by the time I do, he should be healed up. I longed him at the trot for one lap just to see how he was moving, and he actually looked better than he did yesterday. Then again, his muscles will probably have to adjust, so who knows. Either way, I'm glad we got him shoed when we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment