Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lesson

Heh. Today at the start of the lesson, I told Robin I wanted to start schooling at the canter in two weeks. Of course, no sooner had I said that, Sammie started pulling out every method of evasion possible. Robin was like, "And you want to canter THAT??" It was really quite ironic. He is so, so good for me one day and then a beast the next. I'm going to pin it down to greenness and the cold weather.

On the plus side, we got a byootiful bend when we were working on circles. And, Sammie finally stopped pushing his butt out through the corners! It's nice to see progress, even if it's kind of overshadowed by being naughty. I sat his trot for once today too, and felt surprisingly comfortable doing it. He's still running through my halt aids, though, which is part of the reason we're doing such a ridiculous amount of circles. Typically he'll stop off my seat, but some days it's like trying to ask a freight train.

Once he was working well, we went to the dressage ring to practice serpentines. Our jumping arena is full of, (surprise!) jumps, so we kind of had no choice. Again, I was caught off guard by Sam's good behavior. We walked the serpentines a few times, and then trotted them. It took a little while, but eventually we got a good bend both ways. We turn a bit too sharply for it to be test-worthy, but in his defense, I think it was the first time he'd ever tried a serpentine.

Sorry for rambling- I'm kind of just writing down whatever pops into my head. Hah ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment