Sunday, November 15, 2009

Denna!

So yesterday Denna gave her monthly clinic at the barn. It was tough, as usual, and Berky was in a new bit, so he was kind of feeling everything out. Denna disliked the bit as much as Berky and I did, so we're back to a kimberwick. (Last Tuesday, he had been a complete pig for my lesson and Allanah gave me a double twisted wire snaffle to ride him in for a few days so at least I would have some brakes, even if they were harsh. I hate hate hate twisted bits, but it was a safety thing.) Denna wants him in a rubber-mouthed pelham with two reins next time she sees me, so we'll be off to the tack shop soon. I really prefer pelhams to other curbs, so I'm kind of ok with this, especially since I'll be able to regulate the amount of curb I engage.

Anyways, that played a large part in his behavior yesterday. He is so sensitive to my hand, and that bit did not do us any favors. He would try to carry himself, and then he'd pop his nose up. Poor boy :/ he's usually so willing.

Denna was having us do just an outside to outside crossrail line (we were riding with a couple of beginners because it was the last slot available) and I was thinking, "Ok, we got this. We've been doing 2'6, getting our changes. Piece of cake."

Uh, no. He ran out. Twice. At a crossrail. Denna said he was just being a jerk the first time, but the second time I was waiting for him to goof and so he kind of seized the opportunity. It was thrilling. On the other hand, it was a learning experience. Denna reinforced my suspicion that he likes a light seat in the canter (when he was running around like a maniac), and gave me a nice way to visualize the seat to hand connection when we half-halt: push your seat forward like a swing and contain with your hand. It's amazing what ideas you pick up when you teach for thirty years and hang out with George Morris.

Here are my pictures from yesterday:

HE'S BENDING! A MIRACLE!
Photobucket

Denna likes to make us do two-point until we nearly die, but look how happy he looks!
Photobucket

No stirrups is miserable. Good thing I have an arab pony to practice on.
Photobucket

Good boy!
Photobucket

And the HOLY CRAP canter.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment