Saturday, November 28, 2009

The hunt continues... and a nasty rant.

Got a new show jacket today- it's brown herringbone.

Anyways, picked up a pelham today- just a low port short shank. The ladies at the barn were mortified that I actually bought it, and I was subjected to an endless stream of unsolicited advice and how pelhams are only for Gran Prix riders and how the port (which was little more than a mullen mouth, TBH) was so harsh because it wasn't jointed. Ack, that sort of thing pisses me off.

Not to be rude, but I spent a long, long time investigating bits for my horse, posting questions on forums, and getting second opinions, in addition to Denna's. The conclusion drawn was that this was the best choice for my situation. I wish people would accept that.

The same thing happened when I switched farriers after Roy lamed Berky. The BM was saying how he was lame to begin with and it's normal for horses to be sore after a trim and how I shouldn't have him barefoot in the first place (despite the vet reccommending it) and how it's ok for Roy to trim him down to the white line because he had the beginnings of a crack and and and. So much shit went around after I switched to Jason.

But what was I supposed to do? Roy made him lame FOR A MONTH... twice! It would have been irresponsible to do otherwise. He wasn't lame before the trim, either: I could ride him on gravel without any problem, take him on trail rides, etc. etc. I was careful about using conditioner and sealant. Blah blah blah. And she still talked about me like I was a little girl making a stupid decision. I read. I research. I get opinions. I'm not always right, but GOD give me some respect! I wish they would quit talking down to me. The worst part was, they didn't take me aside- they chewed me out in front of everyone for making a decision that was none of their business to begin with.

That said, sweet Michelle offered to help me out with our flatwork. She does second level dressage with her big goofy Hanoverian, Wendig ("Digs") and used to train. She let me use her copper mouth bit she brought back from England (where she was taught). Berky really liked it, so now it looks like I'm going to buy one similar to it. My bit collection is ever-expanding.... She wasn't worried about the pelham for jumping, but we both like to ride in the mildest thing possible, and since that copper bit is about as mild as it gets, I was willing to give it a shot.

We took my running martingale and ghetto rigged it to shorten it just enough that he couldn't bonk me and went into the jumping ring. It's been so long since I'd ridden with someone dressage-y... all my little nasty hunter flaws were painfully obvious. The stereotypical "perch", stiffness, hands in the lap lol. Also, I tend to turn my leg out and dig in with my heel when I try to give him leg. So many habits haha.

It was amazing how well he responded to her tactics- he had never been so round and supple!

Pictures to prove it:

Photobucket

Berky can haz psuedo-engaged canter!
Photobucket

Photobucket

He was not impressed.
Photobucket

My straps were driving me crazy today, but I couldn't let go of the reins to fix them.
Photobucket

Berky sneezed.(Oh hai Paige)

Photobucket


Yeah, jumping in flatwork-length stirrups was a bad idea, but my dad wanted a picture. Bye, lower leg!
Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment