Sunday, June 28, 2009

Two Good Days in a Row?

Yeah. Maddie (my neighbor/fellow boarder) and I went out to the barn early this morning to ride before the afternoon heat. We laid out the arena like this- all heights set to 18":

pole
9ft vert
xrail vert 9ft
18ft pole
vert
30ft
vert
19ft
vert
9ft
pole

And rode it as trot-in canter-out.

Berkshire usually launches over fences, so I warmed up over the crossrail while Maddie used the gymnastic. It took a few messy jumps before Berky started calming down about the tiny fence. We jumped it both ways, trot and canter. I was so proud of him- it sounds kind of silly, but honestly, I could have "good boy"-ed him to death when he started relaxing.

I got a super nice right lead canter off him too. He collected! He was cadenced! He lifted up through his front end and rocked back on his haunches! I felt like I was riding a spring. It makes sense for him to be able to do that- he did show 3'9, but I guess it never occurred to me that I would be able to push his buttons right. I could even canter him on a loose rein and he stopped right off my seat.

After some long and low to let him stretch after his effort, I brought him back to a trot and worked him over the vertical. Another thing I didn't think we'd be able to do! (or at least not any time soon.) We cantered over it both ways and worked on landing in between the standard and the pole. He was so calm, even when we were going toward the barn.

We went through the gymnastic and worked on halting in between the sets of bounces a few times and then called it a day.

I have video of our frantic warm-up over the crossrail. The camera was just sitting on the rail, so most of it is of Maddie and Jack on the gymnstic, but I'm in there a little bit.

And here we have a few stills. Sorry about the shoddy quality..

Photobucket

My chicken wings. Ugh. I caught myself under-releasing over the crossrail and fixed it, but I didn't have any of that on film. I need some work. I definitely jumped WAY ahead when I got tense, too. Hrm. I'm going to tie a ribbon in his mane so I remember to grab it when I release.

Photobucket

Same dilemma here too. My heels need work, also. Oh well- at least my back looks kind of flat.

Video as soon as YouTube uploads.

No comments:

Post a Comment