Saturday, August 22, 2009

Berky's day as a lesson horse.

For financial reasons, we may need to partially lease Berky out, and I have a horse-crazy advanced beginner cousin who volunteered to put him through his paces (under my supervision, naturally.) So I gave her a lesson. Walk-trot- ok, now posting walk. Back up. Stand up in your stirrups. Change directions. Just little stuff like that, done in a less-than-graceful beginner way, to see how he'd do.

He was saintly.

I mean, the floppy posting walk threw him off a little and he trotted, but he was very tolerant of her bouncy sitting trot and little fumbles. I walked with them on a trail ride- everyone behelmeted, of course, and a lead rope clipped to his bridle- to see how he'd do. Very well behaved. We've gone out a mile or so from the barn and he's always been good, but it's kind of different with a new rider.

So I guess I don't have to worry about him killing anyone anytime soon.

Hopefully, I can find an intermediate rider for him. He's so good, but he is a Thoroughbred and can be a little goofy. He's a thinking rider's horse. (Ahahaha i'm just being silly now.)

Anyways, having nothing else better to do, we decided to research his lip tattoo. He was less than amused by our poking and prodding (he hates having his lips touched), and I imagine things looked a little wacky (ahahaha) when I was on my tiptoes and Hannah was poised with the camera.

So we think the first letter is an A or a C. Which means he is either a LOT older than we thought (1971? Uh, Berky?) Or 12. if it's a C, he'd be ten. Which is pretty close to what we'd figured. Haven't gotten the results back yet, but I can't wait to learn all about his racin' days and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment