Sunday, August 9, 2009

Fudging it.

Ok, so I was initially planning on riding Ranger bareback again today, but I forgot to ask Karen to unlock the schooling room so I could get his bridle. Berky has been looking his usual self all week, and he was supposed to go back into work tomorrow anyways, so I walked him around bareback for fifteen or twenty minutes- nothing too strenuous. I'm sure it wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do, but he was no worse for wear.

We kind of compromised. I'm going to ride bareback again tomorrow too and incorporate some trotting and maybe a canter if things go well rather than bringing him back into full-on training. It has been too long since I rode without a saddle, and I had forgotten how much fun it was! He's actually very comfy- I put a saddle pad on him so his bony butt'd be a little more comfortable, and because he's so narrow (typical Thoroughbred ahahaha), I felt more secure on him than I do on Ranger the horsey lounge chair. Worst comes to worst, I eat dirt and come home with a new bruise.

I was so pleased with how good he was. I had him back in the eggbutt snaffle because I hate hate hate the corkscrew fullcheek and felt like he could go back to a softer bit. He spooked when a snake slithered under his feet while we were riding around in the grass, but he came right back to me- I think that answers our question for the moment.

Oh, and we got some sort of new cross-country jump, I think. It must be for the higher level girls because it's at least 3'3 through it's diameter. (It's a big black rolltop-like thing. Not a conventional XC jump- I think it's homemade.) Maybe they'll sink it into the ground or something? I really don't know.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to riding again.

No comments:

Post a Comment