Sunday, August 2, 2009

Showing Das Berky

Yeah, so we trailered down Friday afternoon with Claire. There were a million other horses there- mostly Quarters and Thoroughbreds. It was almost a game picking out the "Westlish" riders. For example, there was a Western Pleasure queen on her 16.2hh tricolor Paint, blingy belt, and bright blue eyeshadow. She was definitely interesting to watch. But I digress.

We schooled Friday night over a course of verticals, which resulted in a "Come to Jesus" moment between me, Berkshire, and Alanah when Berky kept rushing the fences so badly we nearly scratched our morning classes. Of course, this resulted in me "growing a pair" (Tyler- Alanah uses that phrase too. Felt you should know.) and keeping after him. We ended up having a very, very good round and then called it quits.

Saturday wasn't so hot. My dad and I showed up at 7:00 AM to get him ready to school, and he was his typical Berky self- vaguely curious, laid back, and soaking up attention. Schooled a mixed course (outside, diagonal, outside, diagonal- nice and easy), after which he was in a lather, gave him a liniment bath, and fed him breakfast. We hung out until noon- I was entering the crossrails division, schooling 18", and novice hunters, which didn't come until later in the day.

We rode our flat classes in the crossrails division and did very well, although we didn't place (not to be bitter, but the ribbons went to the peanut rollers and one rider who consistently sawed, kicked, and jabbed her horse into submission. It hurt to watch. :/). I was proud of him for bein such a good boy. Went to the over fences class and absolutely nailed our course- he didn't rush a single fence, we rode some really nice lines, etc. I didn't expect a ribbon for it and didn't get one, but I still could have squeezed Berky to death I was so proud.


There was a big gap between the crossrails class and the next division I was entered in, so I hosed him down and took off his bridle so I could hand-graze him. After a while, I untacked completely (there was some fiasco with registration or something), put him in his stall, and got some lunch. When I came back, he was lying down, puffing, and hadn't had any water. NOT GOOD. We thought he had colicked or was overheated, so we brought him out and hosed him while Alanah got some electrolyte paste for him.

Nothing made him more comfortable. He tried to snatch grass when I walked him, but he still hadn't passed manure or had anything to drink. We called the vet and brought him back to be hosed. When Dr. Merrick arrived, his temperature had spiked to 104.6 degrees. UGH....... She diagnosed it as a respiratory infection and prescribed antibiotics and paste Banamine, although we couldn't run a blood test because something had happened at the lab.

So back to the hose we went. He got a shot of Banamine and we tried to cool him down for another hour until the trailer was ready to take him home. Thus ended our show.


At home, he had dropped back to 99.1- right where he belonged. He is now in quarantine until Monday at least, when he gets tested, and out of commission for two weeks.

I went out this morning and he had eaten his breakfast and still had a normal temperature, thank God. We are going out again in a few hours to give him another dose of antibiotic. In the meantime, I'm baking him horse cookies and trying to come up with an applesauce-molasses concoction to dissolve his pills in.

No comments:

Post a Comment