Thursday, August 4, 2011

Guess who has flying changes now?

Oh, Bunster. You are amazing. Today, it clicked with us. The timing, the straightness. It clicked and I have never been so proud of her. Love this little mare. Just schooled her lightly to build our confidence and check that everything is ready for this weekend. I am, for once, not anxious about this show. I feel prepared and happy and like Bunny and I are going to kick some preteen ass.

Miracle was a good girl too. She has really started to calm down for me, thank goodness. With her, I have to concentrate on what will boost her confidence in my contact and make her the most relaxed and tractable, whereas with Bunny I work on refinement and getting a perfect response every time. Once Miracle is relaxed, she is like a wet noodle in your hand, albeit a very unbalanced wet noodle. So different, but I have already noticed the quiet demeanor I have to take with the slightly explosive DWB translating into how I ride Bunny- hands are quieter, legs still. I am sure she appreciates it too. Again, love her love her love her, but sometimes I know I don't do right by her in terms of reward and patience. God bless her.

Both mares are going to do well, I think. Because I am not showing both days like I had anticipated, Bun and I are yet again plopping around the Green horse division. Which is fine I guess, as much as I had hoped we could move up. We have come so far so fast- Patti remarked on how much looser she is through the back and just how happy she looks. I am thrilled- I love dressage and am obviously taking that path with the little warmblood, but with Bunny's low neck set and temperament, she really flourishes under the westerny training. I think riding really requires a bit of inner mad scientist- a desire to figure out what works best for horse x, y, and z while being willing to try methods you wouldn't normally use. Of course, this is all within the confines of being a sympathetic rider, but that speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment