Sunday, July 4, 2010

Yay for jumping!

Ok, two things:
First, the local bridle club has AQHA sanctioned shows. Guess who's competing next season? Moi? Really? :D
Second: Awesome schooling the past few days.

Went to the field and jumped a few lines. Her canter has come so friggin far- it's so comfy now, and I'm not flopping. We set up a 2ft line seven strides apart, and practiced riding it as a six, seven, and eight. And got BEAUTIFUL distances. Perfect every time. We had issues pushing for the six, but she must be remembering her Western youth because I could collect her to the eight soo easily. I really, really wish I had footage.

We did have our first refusal. We have a panel that is yellow on one side, blue on the other. For whatever reason, she was NOT feelin' the yellow side. Nothing dirty, just an, "Uhm, no." She got over it the second time, and then we jumped it every way physically possible, even off a gentle angle, so I think that is settled.

Then, today we had a quickie ride since it looked like it was about to pour. I took off my stirrups, and man, I'm thanking Patti for our two-point torture because I'm so stable in the tack. A squirrel skittered up a tree and sent her into a snorting, kicking-out ORBIT, and I kept my seat :) I've found she spooks at noises much more frequently than scary objects. Interesting to remember.

Anyways, since I was sans spurs, I was expecting today to be pokey pokey pokey trot the whole time. Not so. She was just such a good girl- we got the long, sweepy trot that I've been trying to push her into right off the bat, and she was reaching for the bit and rounding out. It's like riding a cruiser, haha. And I can ride her on a total drape and bring her to a dead halt off my seat. Whew, that's an awesome development. Our backing needs work, but hey, it's like I've had a finished horse lately. I'm not complaining.

Lastly, our "other" canter developments. Whattheheck is up with my seat. I had a beautiful seat without stirrups, and even two-pointed n/s in the canter like Denna used to make us do. But as soon as I picked them up, whabam! Pumping with my upper body. I brace all through my legs, and I just can't seem to fix it. It makes me want to just lose the stirrups permanently, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment