Friday, June 4, 2010

Round 1 of the photospam. Mwahaha!

First dressage schooling. I don't know if she's ever been in a dressage arena, as it took her a little while to figure out that yes, the rail is tiny, but no, I shouldn't step over it. Silly mare.

I was really kind of shocked by how well behaved she was. We have been working a load of flatwork and some crossrail courses just trying to nail that rhythm. She's a bit downhill, so it's hard for her to rock back, but I've figured out how to get her to lift her back, and that's good for just a few days worth of work. The past two rides, she was a typical baby- "Ooh, look, a boy! Ooh, look, Allanah! Ooh, look, the flowerbox! I wonder if it's edible...." But today, she really came through. *insert proud parent face*

At the end, I needed to torture myself no-stirrups. My leg has somehow started twisting around at the knee- it's really strange. The flat of my thighs are correct, with them rotated toward the saddle, and I have a deep seat because I'm working a lot of sitting trot, but my lower leg is so oddly rotated. This needs to be fixed,especially because equitation is my main gig right now, haha. Anyways, as I was saying, she was a total doll about the whole thing.

It's so nice. She's really forward, and so I can push her into the bridle very nicely. This was my first time asking her for any flexion at the poll, and I think we did nicely. Not broken at the third vertebra, no gaping mouth. I'm pleased :D

My camera was set up on the fence, hence the shots all being in one place :P

*Note about the running martingale: I'm getting her used to the feel of different types of tack. I slid my stops way down to the bit, so they really wouldn't take any effect on her. I just wanted her to feel the weight of it and realize it wasn't scary.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Stretchy hunter trot.

Photobucket

My hands are killing me here.
Photobucket



She's stiff to the right, but we got our canter.
Photobucket

She dropped her back here. I needed to use more leg.
Photobucket

Whee, more stretchytimes! And I'm flobbotting. (Actually, I think this was a feeble attempt at a posting trot on the wrong diagonal, while simultaneously trainer-hunching. That takes some serious talent! :))
Photobucket

NGL, I am enamoured with her trot.
Photobucket

This is the crazy twist leg I refer to. It's obviously originating in the hip, and it goes away a little in the trot. I should probably find a way to relax my hip ligaments.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment