Saturday, June 5, 2010

Troubleshooting/thinking out loud

Ok, so am thinking about Ms. Mare's movement and balance. I love her trot, but I feel like she doesn't have enough development to carry the slow, sweepy motion into the canter. So I've been thinking.

1. Lateral work. We've been working a little shoulder-in from time to time, and leg yielding, but I kind of think I need to dust off my old Western knowledge and start working on our two-step and a legit turn on the forehand. I try to do turn on the haunches whenever I reverse- may as well take advantage of the change in direction, right? Hm. Also, moving the haunches over to stretch her out and get her to take a little more weight on her hind.

2. More long and low. I'm kind of teetering on the brink of allowing her to stay stretched- provided her back is up and haunch is active- and asking for briefer periods of traditional on-the-bit work, i.e. flexion at the poll. I don't want her to flop on the forehand, but I kind of feel like keeping her "up" is just going to result in tension at this point.Unless we are stretching/long and low, I DO want her poll to be the highest point. I think the looser rein might help her find her balance, if I couple it with half halts and transitions.

Obviously, it's muscular. And to be honest, she's only four, so if she had mad skillz all around, I'd be worried. She's even supposed to grow another inch-hopefully, that will level her out some, haha.

This is a confo diagram I did off her sale photo, and she has grown since whenever this was taken. Her balance was slightly more level then, as you can see.

But it's 1AM, I can't sleep (as usual haha), and I'm obsessing. So what do I know ;)

3. Other gymnastic work. Namely, cavaletti, hacking, etc. I took her out today and had her back up some hills. She was slightly confused, but compliant. I might make this part of our normal routine. Transitions. Transitions are my frieennd. Cherry Hill is my God at this point- I have all her 101 Etc. books.

Slowing her canter and trot will definitely come with time. It takes more muscle to hold together a slow movement than it does to rush through a fast one. So with that, I leave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment