Saturday, July 18, 2009

Can't think of a title. Meh. Riding stuff.

Got back from Orlando yesterday, so we are back in business. Evidently, we had a lot of rain- the arena was soggy, and Berky managed to clip himself despite his bell boots. (He isn't sore or swollen, so I just washed it out and put some silver cream on it.) Other than that, everyone was alive and well.

Anyhow, the pastures were dry and some of the other girls had set up some low jumps in the cross-country pasture. It ws getting cloudy, so we headed out there to see how he'd do in a big, open area- it had been a while since we'd left the arena to school. The wind picked up and he was a little apprehensive, but he calmed down after some circles.

I was really pleased with how well he did- nice cadence, better carriage, etc. We only got to ride for a few minutes before it started pouring and I got to lead a soggy, nervous horse back to the barn.

After the rain passed, we tried one more time to ride in the dressage ring. It started thundering, so that was the end of that. Instead, Berky got a good brushing and his neck rubbed (his favorite) and got put away to dry out. I had to treat his hooves again with some conditioner and the iodine/formaldehyde rinse because I'm worried about his feet crumbling. Either way, the farrier's out next week and he gets new shoes all around.

I dug out some trenches around the jumping arena while I was waiting for my ride home. I was too dumb to take off my field boots, so they get a cleaning too. Hopefully, the arena will drain over the next few days because I have a private lesson Wednesday and a group lesson some other day.

Eh. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll have better luck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment