Sunday, July 19, 2009

More pasture riding.

The arena was a little less soggy today, but not by much, so we were yet again relegated to the pasture. My dad came out to help set up some jumps- basically a crossrail to vertical line and a single crossrail.

The horses in the neighbor's pasture were running around like maniacs, so we had a nice, long warm up and some stretchy trots to get his attention on me. I popped him over the crossrail once or twice- he rushed after the fence, which makes me think I either came down on his back too soon. We called it quits after we got a nice, balanced jump. I'm reverting back to my swingy-leg ways, judging by my dad's photos- I think I'm going to spend some time on Ranger without stirrups.

Anyways, the fun began when we cantered a few laps. He was very well behaved, but he tripped (not on a wet patch- the pastures were dry..hm.) and opened up his boo boo. Ugh! My dad noticed it when he stumbled, so I brought him back to a walk, got off, and hand cooled him out.

When I got him untacked and tied, I went to get the hose and antibacterial soap. One of the visiting redneck kids started screaming over something, and Berky freaked out and pulled back on his halter. He scrambled around for a second, managed to get free, and trotted back to his stall. I retrieved him and finished cleaning his cut.

Then I saw...... IT WAS PUFFY! My paranoid mind went into overdrive imagining swollen joints, trips to Gainesville, and explorative surgery. I called the BM, Karen-she didn't pick up, but my dad didn't think we needed to call the vet out just yet, so I have my fingers crossed. It wasn't hot and he didn't flinch when I cleaned it out, but still. I scrubbed it out, put SSD on it and Swat around it, and then vetwrapped it for good measure. Tomorrow, I'm going to be out there at the crack of dawn to make sure my horse still had four functioning legs.........UGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment